Public Citizen Litigation Group emails: Public Citizen Litigation Group has just created a new S.Ct. Watch listserv to send out more widely our updates on pending cert. petitions of public interest, including some cases we're working on (the current watch list is available here.). An example email about tomorrow's conference is below -- from now on, we'll be sending this out before each S.Ct. conference.
Would you like to join? If so, please click this link to sign up directly.
ALAN MORRISON SUPREME COURT ASSISTANCE PROJECT UPDATE
Welcome to the new Supreme Court Watch listserv. Public Citizen has created this listserv to raise awareness of public interest issues presented to the U.S. Supreme Court. Before each S.Ct. conference, we'll send this list an update on pending Cert. Petitions of Public Interest. (For those who've received these emails before, note that the watch list is no longer an attachment so you'll need to click on the below link to view the full watch list).
Feel free to forward this message to friends or colleagues who may wish to sign up here: http://www.citizen.org/supremecourtsignup.
The Supreme Court Watch List for the Feb. 16th conference is available as a PDF here: http://www.citizen.org/documents/SCAPpetitionsMonitored.pdf.
PUBLIC CITIZEN CASE HIGHLIGHTS
* Public Citizen is co-counsel for respondents in three pending cert. petitions:
- 06-492, Curry County v. Robert Dark, 9th Cir. (ADA discriminatory discharge and reasonable accommodation - Brian Wolfman is co-counsel for respondent).
- 06-580, Board of Education v. Hyde Park Cent. Sch. Dist. v. Frank G., et al., 2d Cir. (IDEA private tuition reimbursement for parents where child was never enrolled in public school - Bonnie Robin-Vergeer is co-counsel for respondents).
- 06-763, Illinois Central RR Co. v. Milton McDaniel, Miss. (FELA release of injury claim - Allison Zieve is co-counsel for respondent).
* Public Citizen has two petitions previously held which were re-listed for this conference:
- 05-107, Davis v. Int'l Union, UAAAIWA, 6th Cir. (federal jurisdiction - removal/remand/preemption - Paul Levy represents petitioner).
- 05-816, Clark v. Colorado Dep't of Corrections, 10th Cir. (Prison Litigation Reform Act/total exhaustion - Brian Wolfman is co-counsel with Amanda Frost on this petition).
* Public Citizen is assisting with one other case at this conference:
- 06-589 Christian Civil League of Maine, Inc. v. FEC & McCain et al., D.D.C. (electioneering/lobbying ad ban - Scott Nelson is assisting congresssional appellees).
* The Court agreed to hear:
- 06-969/06-970 Federal Election Commission, Senators McCain et al. v. Wisconsin, D.D.C. (electioneering ban on grassroots lobbying ads - Scott Nelson is co-counsel for McCain et al. appellants).
* The Court denied cert. on:
- 06-746 Hyundai Motor v. Razor, Ill. (no Magnuson Moss or FTC preemption of state warranty requirement - Brian Wolfman assisted respondent.)
- 06-528, Lundeen v. Canadian Pacific Railway Co., 8th Cir. (Federal Railroad Safety Act preemption of state-law tort claims from N.D. railroad accident - Paul Levy represented petitioners).
For more info, contact: Emma Cheuse, firstname.lastname@example.org
Alan Morrison Supreme Court Assistance Project
Public Citizen Litigation Group